I have been wanting to try this Taiwanese Castella Cake for some time now and I finally did. It was easier than I thought so that was a pleasant surprise. It’s amazing how with a just a few ingredients, we can make this delicate, pillow-soft, fluffy and jiggly cake. It’s simply irresistible !
The recipe can be viewed and printed at this link;
COCONUT FLOUR VERSION
[ Total Servings = 9 ]
Per Serving ;
Total Carb = 2.1 g
Dietary Fiber = 1.1 g
Net Carb = 1.0 g
Calories = 89
Total Fat = 8.1 g
Protein = 3.7 g
ALMOND FLOUR VERSION
[ Total Servings = 9 ]
Per Serving ;
Total Carb =3.7 g
Dietary Fiber = 1.9 g
Net Carb = 1.8 g
Calories = 140
Total Fat = 12.3 g
Protein = 5.6 g
FOR CHOCOLATE MIXTURE
Coconut Flour (https://amzn.to/3b9EVOw) = 30 g / 1/4 cup (Almond flour (https://amzn.to/3noPX8u) = 120 g / 1 cup. Using almond flour will yield a slightly bigger volume)
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder = 25 g / 4 tbsp
Eggs Yolks (room temperature) = 5 large
Coconut Oil = 50 ml / 4 tbsp (You can also use melted butter or olive oil)
Unsweetened Milk = 80 ml / 6 tbsp (In the video, I used Pea Milk but you can also use almond milk or any keto friendly milk)
Vanilla Extract = 1 tsp (Optional)
Egg Whites (room temperature) = 5 large
Lakanto = 100 g / 1/2 cup (or any keto friendly sweetener)
Salt = 1/4 tsp
FOR LEAF DESIGN AT THE TOP OF THE CAKE (OPTIONAL)
Reserve a few tbsp of the batter
Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (sieved) = 8 g / 1 tbsp
(Note: Mix both together until well combined. The color should appear to be much darker than the batter. Fill into a piping bag and cut a small hole just before using.)
1. Pre-heat the oven at 300F or 150C.
2. Prepare a pan. I used a 6 inch (15 cm) (https://amzn.to/3b79tR1) square pan with a removable bottom. Line the pan with parchment papers. The parchment paper for the side of the pan should be taller than the pan.
3. Sieve the coconut flour and unsweetened cocoa powder together into a bowl. Mix to combine.
4. Add the coconut oil, milk, vanilla extract and whisk to combine.
5. Add the 5 egg yolks and whisk until well combined. Set aside.
6. In another bowl, add the 5 egg whites, salt and beat with a hand held mixer at medium speed. Gradually add the sweetener while beating the egg whites until soft peaks. Soft peaks means that the tip of the peak will curve or fold back on itself.
7. Add 1/3 of the meringue into the chocolate mixture and fold to combine. This meringue is very important so try not to break it by mixing or stirring as the air will be deflated resulting in the cake unable to rise. Instead, fold gently as in scooping up so as to maintain its gentle shape. Also, do not over fold.
8. Pour the chocolate mixture into the meringue and fold to combine. The batter is silky-smooth.
9. Pour the batter into the pan. Remember to reserve a few tbsp if you are opting to make the leaf design at the top of the cake.
10. Tap the pan a few times to release air bubbles.
11. Use the filled piping bag to create lines on the top of the cake. Then use a wooden skewer or toothpick to make the leaf design as shown in the video.
12. Fill hot water (not boiling water) into a suitable bigger pan. Make sure the water is sufficient so that you do not need to open the oven door to refill as this may affect the baking process.
13. Place an empty pan over the water and place the pan with batter on the empty pan. I used an extra pan as my pan has a removable bottom. If your pan has a solid base, then you don’t need the extra pan. Just place the pan with batter directly on the pan with water.
14. Bake at the lowest rack at 300F or 150C for 50 to 60 mins.
15. The cake is done when it feels firm at the top.
16. After baking, immediately remove the cake from the pan and release the sides of the parchment paper and let it cool. Be careful when removing the sides of the parchment paper as they may stick to the cake and since the cake is delicate, gently use a spatula to help with the release. Unlike the Japanese Cheesecake, this castella cake does not deflate but if it does, it will be just a tiny bit.
17. Every oven is different so you may need to watch the heat and adjust accordingly.
18. This cake can be cut into 9 servings but for the video, I cut into 6 servings for illustration purpose.
19. This cake can be enjoyed warm or chilled.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Thank You for your support !
Weight Loss Surgery Is Not ‘Who’ I Am
Weight loss surgery is an external event it does not become who I am and I do not become ‘weight loss surgery’. How many of us have seen the card that says – “Wine is made to be drunk. I am drunk therefore, am I wine?Weight Loss a Measure of Success Following Bariatric Surgery?
Weight loss, waist measurement or BMI are quantifiable measurements. They are useful instruments as part of research. They are useful boundaries in determining ‘suitability’ for surgery. They are valuable when linked to outcomes and health improvement. They are, usually, easily measured, ‘monitored’ and recorded. Most of us know that weight loss has been recognised for many years to have a significant, positive impact and improvement both on many diseases and also, therefore, prolonged life expectancy.10 Foods To Help Lose Weight
There are plenty factors that can affect weight gain such as lifestyle and diet. A simple change in our lifestyle and constant exercise is vital to keep off those excess fats.How to Get Rid of Weight and Look Sexy?
People with fat body with stomach coming in the outer way don’t get the attention of the people. Therefore, one should always follow some healthy diet plan.Combine Foods Effectively to Lose Weight
Food combinations can make a huge difference to whether you lose weight or don’t lose weight but that’s not the only reason to combine foods correctly. This article gives examples of what and what not to combine and the reasons why.Need Help Losing Weight? Check Out These Tips!
There is so much weight loss information that it all starts to get confusing. Remember to keep things as simple as possible when starting out in order to be on the right track on your journey. Take what you have learned from this article and apply it to your everyday life. There are both good and bad weight loss suggestions floating around. It is not a surprise that many people have no idea what to do. This article has many effective pieces of advice which will point you in the right direction in terms of shedding pounds. These tips should prove to be a good place to start.4 Ways Dieting Could Be Making You Fat
Could dieting be making you fat? Here are some common pitfalls of dieting.Easiest Effective Ways to Manage Weight
Secrets to fat loss, secrets to lose weight, and learn the secret foods to eat to lose weight… seriously!! Why is everything a secret!!! Find simple tips to managing your weightHave You Tried Hula Hoop Fitness Classes?
Have you noticed recently how hula hoop fitness classes are cropping up all over the place? Classes are gaining popularity for their fun element, effective exercise benefits and community spirit. Have you been thinking about trying a hula hoop class for yourself but something is holding you back?Top Reasons to Buy Proactol
Proactol comes in the form of easy to ingest pills, so it will be effortless taking it regularly as a sufficient fat-binding agent to assist you in your fat loss endeavor. Current Proactol users have reported weight loss of over 20 pounds after taking this diet supplement for only a few months.