UPDATE 8 JAN 2020
Please note that I have included the crust recipe for a 9″ pie pan below
You can tag pictures to me or see more recipes at my social medias via these links ;
It has taken me this long to start learning how to make pies because I get intimidated when I think of pies and yes, I am not kidding. It feels like such a difficult thing to do but once I started, there’s no turning back hehe.. I am so happy that I even managed to develop a vegan crust with a sturdy and crispy texture. The best part is that the dough can be rolled and transferred to a pie pan which means that we can even do a double crust so yay to that. I am thinking of chicken pot pie and many other possibilities.
I have actually developed this non-vegan almond crust as well as coconut flaxseed crust based on my scone recipes and so the crusts are buttery flaky good. Initially, I had planned to do this video for both versions but somehow I experienced a technical problem so had to split them into 2 videos. So if you prefer the coconut flaxseed crust, stay tuned for the video this weekend.
You can use this almond crust for many other toppings and it’s easily shaped by hands. But I chose to start with lemon tart as I love the tangy taste which is so refreshing especially when chilled. I will be making a keto pecan pie with the vegan crust later on so stay tuned for it.
The recipe can be viewed and printed at this link ;
[ Total Servings = 12 ]
Per serving ;
Total Carb = 3.8 g
Dietary Fiber = 1.6 g
Net Carb = 2.2 g
Calories = 177
Total Fat = 16.4 g
Protein = 5.6 g
FOR CRUST (8 TO 8.5″ PIE PAN)
Almond Flour = 180 g / 1 1/2 cup
Unsalted Cold Butter (cubed) = 60 g / 1/4 cup
Lakanto Powdered Sweetener = 30 g / 1/4 cup (OR any keto friendly sweetener)
Whole egg = 1 large
Salt = 1/2 tsp
FOR CRUST (9″ PIE PAN)
Almond Flour = 240 g / 2 cups
Unsalted Cold Butter (cubed) = 80 g / 1/3 cup
Lakanto Powdered Sweetener = 40 g / 6 tbsp (OR any keto friendly sweetener)
Whole eggs = 2 medium
Salt = 1 tsp
FOR FILLING (8 to 9″ PIE PAN)
Lakanto Powdered Sweetener = 125 g / 1 cup (Note: This is mildly sweet so if you prefer it sweeter, you can add more sweetener)
Whole Eggs = 2 large
Egg Yolks = 3 large
Salt = 1/4 tsp
Whipping Cream = 120 ml / 1/2 cup
Fresh Lemon Juice = 120 ml / 1/2 cup
Zest from 2 lemons
(Note: Any leftovers of the filling can be frozen and eaten as ice cream.)
1. In a bowl or food processor, add the almond flour, powdered sweetener, salt and mix until well combined.
2. Add the cold cubed butter and use either food processor, pastry blender or hand to mash the butter until small pieces. It’s done when the mixture looks like crumbles.
3. Add the egg and mix until a dough is formed.
4. Place the dough onto a greased 8″ non-stick pie pan with removable bottom. Spread evenly with hands until the entire pan is covered. Prick some holes with a fork.
5. Chill the dough for 15 mins.
6. Once the dough is chilled, do a blind bake. Cover the dough with a parchment paper and fill with anything suitable to weigh down the dough.
7. Bake at 350F or 180C for about 10 to 15 mins. Then remove the weights and paper and make a tent foil to cover the pan to prevent from over browning. Then bake for another 10 to 15 mins until slightly browned.
8. Meanwhile, prepare the filling. In a bowl, add the sweetener, eggs, egg yolks, salt and whisk until well combined.
9. Add the lemon juice, zest and whisk until well combined.
10. Add the whipping cream and whisk until well combined.
11. When the crust is ready, pour the filling onto the crust.
12. Bake at a lower heat at 300F or 150C for about 20 mins or just until the filling is set. You can touch the filling and if it feels set or firm, then it is ready. Do not overbake as it will cause browning on the top of filling.
13. After baking, remove the foil and let it cool to room temperature. Then chill for at least 1 hour before slicing.
14. The lemon tart can be refrigerated up to a week and it tastes so refreshing and delicious when chilled.
How To Lose Weight Healthy Without Skipping Meals
Maintaining a healthy weight can be tough in our eat-and-run society where we don’t pay much attention to what we are eating. We just want to grab a quick bite and get on with our work. We are addicted to junk food which can cause us to put on lot of unwanted weight. So how do you go about maintaining your weight in this modern society? Keep in mind that losing weight is mostly a balancing act. You have to burn more calories than you consume.Rapid Weight Loss: The Pros And Cons
To lose weight safely and effectively it is important to know what you are eating is delivering all of the nutritional goodness that your body needs. Most rapid weight loss diets are effective but involve eating the same foods everyday and our bodies require foods from all the food groups to function correctly.Natural Health Warning: Yogurt May Be Hazardous to Your Health
How can something so good for you turn out bad? When either sugar or artificial sweetener is added. Here’s the skinny on why yogurt may not be the power packed food we all thought and what to look for instead.How You Should Work Out To Develop Abs
How you should work on abs. There are many core exercises that can be included in ab workouts. Here are three that you can get started with. Certain exercises such as bicycle exercise, leg raises, and exercise ball crunch.Burn Up Your Body Fat and Rev Up Your Metabolism
Weight loss products Enhance and Maximize weight loss efforts-they are not an instant magical solution! It’s so frustrating for me as a certified nutritionist to read advertisements that suggest otherwise. Or listen to celerity Doctors tell people, who are desperate to lose weight and be healthy, “You don’t have to change your diet-just take this magic pill and you will lose weight in your sleep!” This is setting people up to fail. I think all natural weight loss supplements can improve weight loss success, in conjunction with a healthy diet and moderate exercise.4 Fastest Ways to Lose Weight in a Healthy Way
You need to ensure that you exercise daily as ways of burning the excess fats within the body to enable you lose weight faster. How should you do this? You should ensure that you get information from a training expert on the exercising tips that you need to know when trying to improve your health through weight lossIs Losing Weight An Uphill Battle? Follow These Handy Tips To Achieve Success!
When losing weight, you may be tempted to buy the latest weight loss products that guarantee quick weight loss. The real truth is that time-tested weight loss techniques still work as well as they always have. This advice has helped people for ages.Why It’s Important To Hire A Personal Trainer
This article will clearly explain the value and importance of having your own personal trainer. Whatever your fitness goals are, having a pro help you reach them is essential. Someone with lots of experience on your side to customize a program just for you will save you time and money in the long run. Read on and find out why!Which Workout Style Is Best For Me?
Stop looking for the next gadget or pill or DVD to get into shape. There is a way to achieve your fitness goals and the answer is not in an infomercial, it’s free. You owe it to yourself, your family and to your wallet to read this article.Healthy Weight Loss 101: Foods That You Should Eat To Lose Weight Healthy
Obesity is one of the leading health problems in today’s society. That being said, having excess weight will not only make you feel bad about yourself, it can also lead to health problems in the long run. This does not mean that one should resort to taking diet pills, surgery or skipping meals.