Psyllium husk is the best natural replacement for gluten but I know that some of you experienced stomach discomfort with it while some of you faced difficulty obtaining it in your specific countries. Hence, I am introducing this keto bread which has no psyllium husks, xanthan gum or even yeast, yet it rises so well. It is white in color so I named it Keto Almond White Bread. Of course, the texture is a little cake-like and crumbly but it makes a great alternative if you are looking for a keto bread without psyllium husk or xanthan gum.
The key ingredient is the egg whites which makes the bread looks white and the protein from egg whites helps to boost the rise. When part of the egg whites are whipped to stiff peaks, the meringue helps to provide the volume and rise as well. If you use egg yolks, the bread will not rise as much, tastes very eggy and the color will be yellowish. Hence, I would not recommend to use egg yolks for this white bread. If you do not know what to do with the leftover egg yolks, check out this video as there is a list of suggestions mentioned here – https://youtu.be/LFEL8zPLBbg. Alternatively, you could use egg whites from cartons too. This is not easily available in my home country hence, I used fresh egg whites and using eggs are a lot cheaper than protein powders.
After baking, you can feel how light and soft the whole loaf is. You can eat it on its own, top with your favorite spread or make sandwiches with it. When toasted, the crust is crispy and the crumb is tender.
I will be trying out this recipe with other low carb flours like coconut flour, ground sunflower seeds and other nut flours. If successful, I will publish the video here.
The recipe can be viewed and printed at this link;
[ Total Servings = 18 ]
Per Serving ;
Total Carb = 2.1 g
Dietary Fiber = 1.0 g
Net Carb = 1.1 g
Calories = 104
Total Fat = 8.7 g
Protein = 4.3 g
FOR THE BATTER
Almond Flour = 240 g / 2 cups
Egg Whites = 6 large egg whites (215 g)
Baking Powder = 16 g / 4 tsp (Note: If using double acting baking powder, reduce amount by half)
Apple Cider Vinegar = 15 ml / 1 tbsp (Note: This is optional. Apple cider vinegar helps to mask any eggy taste and gives a nice yeasty flavor)
Coconut Oil = 80 ml / 1/3 cup (Note: You can also use olive oil or melted butter)
Salt = 2 g / 1/2 tsp
FOR THE MERINGUE
Egg Whites = 6 large egg whites (215 g)
1. Preheat the oven at 350F or 180C.
2. In a bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt and mix until well combined.
3. Add the apple cider vinegar (if using), coconut oil, egg whites and mix until a thick batter is formed. Set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, make the meringue. Add the egg whites and beat with a handheld mixer at high speed until stiff peaks. It only takes about 1 minute.
5. Fold the meringue into the batter. Add 1/3 first and fold gently to combine. Do not mix. The fold method is like scooping up the batter from the bottom. If you simply mix the meringue into the batter, it will affect the rise. Then add another 1/3 of the meringue and fold to combine. Lastly, add the balance of the meringue and fold to combine. The batter is thick and smooth.
6. Pour the batter into an 8 x 4.5 x 4.5 inch loaf pan lined with parchment paper. With a higher pan, the bread will look taller. You can use a standard 8 x 4 inch loaf pan except that the height of the bread will be shorter and the top will bloom sideways so it will end up looking like a bloomed flower or a mushroom top.
7. Bake at the lowest rack for 50 minutes or until cooked.
8. Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing. If you cut into thin slices, you can get about 18 to 20 servings. If you cut into thick slices, you can get about 16 servings.
9. The bread is a little cake-like and crumbly but still firm. It is light and soft. You can eat it on its own, top with your favorite spread or make sandwiches. When toasted, the crust is crispy and the crumb is tender. It is a great alternative if you are looking for a keto bread without psyllium husk or xanthan gum.
10. The bread can be stored at room temperature for a few days if you have a cool climate. Otherwise, it’s best to refrigerate earlier up to 2 weeks. They can be frozen for months.
Keep A Food Diary
Women who wrote down what they ate lost more weight than those who did not. Women who filled out the food diaries lost on average six pounds more than those who did not. You are firmly in control when you do this; you know exactly how much and what you are eating and how many calories you are consuming at any one time.Healthy Life Mentoring Key to Healthy Living
We’ve all heard of business mentoring, but what about healthy life mentoring? This new and innovative approach to fitness and nutrition could be the key to losing weight and adopting the healthy lifestyle many of us know we should be living.Cheat Your Body Into Losing Weight
So you are not overweight, but not very thin either. If you are just looking to work on the problem areas where there is excess fat so that you can achieve that picture perfect body, then this article is just for you.Weight Loss Meals to Reduce Your Weight
This articles contain of fantastic ways to gain weight loss healthier and more safe. No need to take medicine or treatment if you can pick the right food to eat. Foods that will burn your fat and stimulate your body metabolism. This is the most effective method to reduce your Fat.Mastery – Maximizing the Return on Your Investment
Over the years I have seen many people do workout session after workout session over a long period of time, and years down the road they continue to struggle with basic technique and they really don’t understand what they’re doing and why. The lack of personal investment and education usually results in mediocre to poor long-term results and many times injury.Use A “Common Sense” Approach to Weight Loss And Maintenance
Folks trying to lose weight are overwhelmed by the options available in weight loss programs, from formal programs like Weightwatchers, Jenny Craig, etc., to the more informal “diet-of-the-day” programs which focus on “low-carb”, “high-carb”, “high-protein”, “low-sugar”, etc. The list goes on. It is said that up to 90% fail to maintain weight loss after participating in these programs. Many folks are now taking a “common sense” approach to weight loss. They’re focusing on their own Somatotype body type and metabolism to customize a personal nutrition and physical fitness regime to ensure realistic weight loss and maintenance of that weight loss.Mindset Transformation to Achieve Weight Loss
Negative self-talk and “poor me” Mindset can set off the Law of Attraction working against your weight loss goals. Learn why you must turn off this “Fat Head” mentality to lose weight and keep it off – WITHOUT dieting!Simple Strategies for Making Quick and Healthy Fat Burning Meals in Minutes
Are you challenged by your busy schedule to find the time to plan and make your meals? Do you find yourself eating out more than you would like? Are you frustrated with the pace of your progress but unable to maintain a consistent eating plan? If this sounds like you, you’re not alone.When Is the Best Time to Eat Dinner to Lose Weight?
It is said that when you eat your meals will not make a difference for losing weight. It’s all about calories consumed and calories burned, and it doesn’t matter the time of day you consume them. But if it were merely a plus/minus proposition, and not even the proponents of this thinking agree, then it would be easy to at least identify how to lose weight. But there are other factors that come into play.The New Fat-Burning Equation: Cut Your Workout Time in Half and Get Twice the Fat Loss Results
What if everything you’ve been told about losing weight and changing your body is actually causing you to gain weight in the long run? The old conventional theory on weight loss is to focus on calories in versus calories out. Cut back on the number of calories you eat daily and get some exercise, we’re told, and you will lose weight. Unfortunately, while this old method can often lead to weight loss, there is also a greater probability that you will gain the weight back. Another downside of this weight loss approach is that it can often lead to weight gain over the long term by negatively affecting your body’s fat burning systems. The new fat loss research is very clear. The only way to create lasting change in your weight and how your body looks is to first change the two things that most significantly affect how the body burns fat and how much fat the body burns.