This video is based on canning the Keto Strawberry Jam published here about 2 weeks ago (see this link – https://youtu.be/2Lsw6LRuG5E )
There are 2 types of canning i.e. Hot Water Bath and Pressure Canning.
Hot Water Bath Canning is suitable for high acid food such as fruit jams, jellies or pickles. But not all fruits contain high acid. For e.g. mango jam, the acid is not high enough so I ended up doing pressure canning for most of my products except Strawberry Jam, Mango Chutney and Mango Chili as their acid level is higher so I could still use hot water bath canning.
We can also add acids such as lemon juice, vinegar, unflavored vitamin C, ascorbic or citric acid powders to increase the acidity level so that hot water bath canning can be applied. But you have to consider whether they will alter the taste of the jam. The added acids also make the color more vibrant and prevents darkening at the top of the jam.
For low acid food such as meat, poultry, seafood and vegetables, we must use pressure canners as they require much higher heat for canning.
So how does canning preserve the food?
Basically, canning destroys the enzymes and prevent the growth of bacteria, yeasts and molds and help to form a high vacuum in the jars. So if the jar has a good vacuum with tight seal, it will keep the liquid in and prevent the air and microorganisms from getting in.
How long can we store the jams after canning?
Up to 12 months for the best quality and flavor.
OR up to 18 months but the quality and flavor will be reduced. The longer food is kept; the more flavor will be lost but it is still edible.
Store at a cool and dry area.
List of things required for canning the jam;
1. Jars and caps preferably with safety button (lids and rings for some countries)
2. Stock pot which is at least 4 to 6 inches higher than the jars.
3. Jar lifter
7. Plastic or wooden spoon
8. Towel to wipe the rims
9. Tray with towel to rest the canned jars
1. Wash and clean the jars, lids, rings or caps. If there are any cracks on the jars, do not use it.
2. Place a wire or rack inside the stock pot for the jars to sit on.
3. Place the empty jars inside the stock pot standing on the wire rack.
4. Fill the stock pot with water about 2 to 3 inches higher than the jars
5. Bring the water to a boil then let it simmer while you start to cook the jam. This is not to sterilize the jars but just to keep them warm for the hot jams to avoid any cracks. It is not necessary to sterilize jars as the bacteria will be killed during the canning process.
6. Do not boil the lids, rings and caps. Just let it air dry after washing.
7. Once the jam is cooked, remove the empty jars from the stock pot. Drain the water first.
8. Fill the jams into the jars leaving a head space of ½ an inch or fill just up to the neck of the jars.
9. Use a plastic or wooden spoon to stir the jam to remove any air pockets.
10. Wipe the rim clean then cap the jar. If you are using lids and rings, place the lids on the rim then cover with the ring. Just close the cap finger tight and do not use any force. They will expand during the canning process.
11. Place the filled jars into the stock pot with water. Make sure that the water is about 2 to 3 inches higher than the jars. Cover and bring to a boil with high heat.
12. Once the water reaches a rolling boil, process the jars for about 15 mins for smaller jars and about 20 mins for bigger jars.
13. After the processing time, turn off the heat and remove the cover of the pot. Let the jars rest for 5 mins in the pot then only remove them.
14. Let the canned jars rest on a tray with a towel.
15. Check whether the jars are properly sealed.
16. If there are any unsealed jars, just refrigerate or reprocess within 24 hours.
3 Easy Proven Weight Loss Tips
There exists many diet plans that explain how to lose weight; this article is about simple, easy and proven ways to achieve the desired weight loss goal without investing financially, but using readily available resources. The program involves a simple exercise routine coupled with an eating plan inspired by ancient Ayurvedic principles that when consistently followed will have magnificent results within 8 to 12 weeks.Happy New Year, Happy New You
The festive season has been and gone, and after a couple of weeks of endless partying, eating, drinking and being oh-so merry, I have noted that this behaviour has had a considerably less ‘merry’ effect on my waistline. With so many delectable treats on offer during the Christmas period, it is understandable that it can be difficult to keep track of your calorie intake.How To Lose Weight in 2014
Many people talk about losing weight as the new year starts. So far it is one of the most common new year’s resolution since time in memorial or since people started paying close attention to their body figure. The fact is only 5% people who made a new year’s resolution to lose weight actually do it and only 3% were only successful. Somehow, this makes me think that maybe new year’s resolutions are things that you don’t want to do for that specific year because more often than not, people don’t actually even try to accomplish these resolutions.I Want Thinner Legs!
Ok ladies, we all know one of the areas of your body you are most conscious of is your thighs. It seems like it only takes a week of “not being careful” and the cellulite piles on, and that “gap” that everyone keeps talking about seems like a pipe dream. Not so! You can make it happen, and I can tell you how.Aerobics For Fat People
It can be extremely difficult for an overweight person to get started in aerobic exercise. But it is vitally important to your health that you find a way to get moving in order to lose weight, as well as improve you cardiovascular health, the health of your muscles, bones and connective tissues, and protect your health in general. Here are some keys to getting started on the path to fitness.Detoxify Your Body – Detox Retreat
Detoxification is the ancient process of cleaning the body by removing impurities from the blood. It has been practiced for centuries, all around the world. Detoxification means cleaning the blood.My Journey Into Weight Loss
On one of my low self-esteem days I realized I had to do something to change this and made the commitment to do something. That something started with working out two or three days a week just walking or going to an aerobic class. This simple change soon began to pay dividends and I was seeing changes with my body. It took about a year for me to lose 40 pounds and fit into a size 4 for the first time in my adult life. I even wore a two piece bathing suit to the beach, and I remember thinking how proud I was of myself for accomplishing so much!How to Reduce Stomach Fat Fast
You must be aware that, to reduce stomach fat fast would mean drastic changes to your diet, as well as to your lifestyle in general. It would mean that you want to put in the effort to have a quick result. Sometimes, you would just need to wear the right sized jeans. Too tight jeans will create a muffin top. The right size will instantly reduce stomach fat. The same applies to having the right posture.Weight Loss On The Raw Food Diet – Facts, Evidence and Real Success Stories
With worldwide obesity nearly doubling over the past thirty years, isn’t it about time for people to take action? In many countries around the world, more people die from being overweight than underweight. This is a rather sad fact, especially since obesity can be prevented. Serious action is needed folks. Some brave persons have taken action to lose weight, and have done so by means of the raw food lifestyle.Females Need To Control Their Metabolism To Lose Weight
If you are a female trying to lose weight you must control your metabolism. The first step is to know what controls you metabolism. Dieting is not necessarily how this is done. Control your metabolism then control your weight!